According to the Brain Injury Association of America, more than 5.3 million or one in every 60 people in the United States live with a permanent brain-injury-related disability.
What Are The Symptoms of a Brain Injury?
Brain injuries have complex effects that vary widely from person to person. The symptoms of a brain injury depend on factors such as location, cause, and severity.
When it comes to brain injury symptoms, some will show up immediately following the traumatic incident, whereas other symptoms may show up days or weeks later.
The symptoms that a person who experiences a brain injury may experience include, but are not limited to:
- Loss of Balance and Increased Dizziness
- Sleep Problems
- Reduced Cognition (Awareness or Comprehension)
- Personality Changes
No two brain injuries are the same. This list only serves to show a snapshot of the symptoms that someone with a brain injury can experience.
How Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs Can Help
Our services dogs can assist someone with a brain injury in several ways, including:
- Balance support
- Retrieving dropped items
- Alerting to nightmares to improve sleep patterns
- Alerting prior to seizures and/or migraines
- Mitigating depression
A service dog can make a significant impact in the lives of those struggling with a brain injury by helping them during a medical or emotional emergency, providing balance and security in public places, and aiding with memory-related daily tasks.
To learn more about Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs, contact us today.
- In the Spotlight: Robert Brown - March 31, 2023
- Featured Recipient Sarah and Hero - March 31, 2023
- Guardian Angels Partnering with The Colorado Technical University Patriot Scholarship program - March 6, 2023